According to Howard Dean of the Democratic National Party, one of the reasons his movement took back the House of Representatives was due to capturing 1/3 of the evangelical Christian vote. Interesting... the Democrats even marketed on Christian radio, typically thought of as a Republican playing field. Perhaps the social issues Democrats often care about can one day be merged with the pro-life platform of the Republicans (among other issues on both sides).
While I'm not that pleased with how my local election turned out, I nonetheless recognize the opportunity to pray for my leaders. So in case you needed a few more names in your prayer list, I thought I'd throw out some inspired by recent events in our world.
- Newly elected politicians
- Incumbents who don't have a job anymore
- President George W Bush
- Pastor Ted Haggard and his family
- Mel Gibson and other Hollywood Christians
- The last waiter/waitress/salesperson you didn't see beyond his/her role to serve you
- Anyone in the media looking for a juicy story (that currently doesn't have one)
- The poor and the widowed in your own neighborhood
- That guy about to throw some trash out his car window
- Children trying to understand why there is sin in the world
- Adults trying to understand the same thing