Nov 16, 2005

things i just don't get...

I'm sure we all have them... things that we just don’t get. Sometimes everything in world feels right. Most of the time, though, we wonder if we're even on the same planet as the people and things around us.

Here are a few things as of late that I'm kind of trying to navigate through:

  • When people tell you that they have a new email address and ask you not to send anything to their old address… why do they use their old address to send you the email?

  • When I’m waiting to make a left turn into a parking lot lane and see an oncoming car (that I’m waiting for to pass), why will this car 100% of the time turn into the lane I've been waiting to get into if my turn signal is on? And why if my turn signal is off will the car will pass by (and then the passenger I'm driving with will ask, "Hey - why isn't your turn signal on?")

  • Why do we put up “beware of deer” signs on highways instead of fences to keep them out?

  • Why did the Brady Bunch men all got perms that last season? And how come no one ever mentioned it in the family? I think all the men getting perms would deserve at least one episode... maybe even a to-be-continued series of episodes. Good grief, if the Hawaii Tiki-Idol fiasco got four in a row... why such little respect for the "man perm?"

  • In one of the newer songs by the Killers they have a line that says, "I've got soul but I'm not a soldier.” Why do they chant it over and over at the end of the song and what the heck does that even begin to mean?

  • Why does the weatherman get to be wrong most of the time and still keep his job?

  • Why do people offer "printer friendly versions" when it's the same thing on a whole new pop up with ONE exception - the phrase “printer friendly version” is gone. Why not just have that missing from the original page to begin with?

  • When Subway advertises for employees they say something like "Now hiring sandwich artists." Do they really mean that? Like, what if some guy in a beret showed up with an art apron and a canvass ready to paint a nice Reuben triple-decker?

  • Why do people say "I finally found what I was looking for… it's funny, but it's always the last place you look." Of course it is! It’s the last place you look because you stopped looking after you found it. If you kept looking after you found it you would be odd, wouldn’t you?
Then I remember that I'm quite foolish, too. So often I look at other people's habits as "odd" because I unconsciously believe the world revolves around me. You know, "If only more people looked at life like I do then everything would be peachy" and all that bunk. Like the whole purpose of the day is about me carving out the way I want life to look.
I tend to transfer this to my prayer life, too.
"Lord, I wanted the thing to turn out this way but it hasn't. So could you just make it happen? You know, bless my efforts and all that." Somewhere in the back of my brain I might actually believe this is how it's supposed to be, as though God is on the throne going, "Well, I had this thing planned for you, but since you want me to bless your plans I guess mine will just have to wait."
Maybe my prayers SHOULD be more like, "God... thanks that I'm alive. Live Your life through me today... help me to see that the weird things I see in life are a part of a much greater Story I may not be aware of." I know I should pray like that, and I'm trying. Yet somehow I seem to slip back into the "Um, I'm kind of waiting for you to take care of this thing, God" mindset.
And why I do that... I just don't get.


    "For from Him and through Him and to Him are all things. To Him be the glory forever! Amen." (Romans 11:36)

7 comments:

kyperman said...

Good post Tony....liked it a lot.

Out Of Jersey said...

Because we don't think things all the way through. And we are stupid. And we prove darwin wrong constantly. Check out www.darwinawards.com for proof of that.

Bar L. said...

But I still haven't found what I'm looking for.....

But I am so glad I stopped and read your blog..... (you have to sing that to the tune of the U2 song)

Ben Robinson said...

Hey Tony, you posted on my blog a bit back and this is me saying "thanks for stopping by." I am enjoying listening in on your thoughts as well.
-Ben

Friar Tuck said...

funny!

tonymyles said...

Then maybe we should do like an electric fence or something... it would take a lot of work but it sure would lower my AAA insurance premiums.

Gerrard Fess said...

Why do we drive on parkways and park on driveways?