Sep 18, 2005

sitting behind the big man

I sat behind the big man tonight. Yep... one of the most influential leaders in the church today. The man responsible for birthing a church that eventually created a ministry I got saved in years ago. Not only that, but a true, authentic, genuine lover of Christ and lost people. One of my heroes.

I sat behind him tonight... as my wife and I enjoyed being with the Church for a weekend service.

I wondered what I would say if after the gathering I had a small window of time to speak with him. You see, I've often tried talking with this man in the past at conferences and such, but I always fumble through my words like some boy-band groupie.

But as I considered my options tonight, it amazed me that I wasn't intimidated by him. I don't mean that in an egotistical way, but in a personal growth kind of way. In fact, the moment in service that most intimidated me tonight when was we sang songs as worship to God. It was in those moments that I most trembled and felt awkward in the presence of true Greatness.

No... tonight as I sat behind the "big man" I was thankful for his courage to let the Big Man to use him. If I had the moment to, all I wanted to say was "thanks."

And so service ended and I started talking with some people whom I'm more directly interviewing with. As I chatted, I could see the big man begin to slowly slip away. "I could catch him," I thought. But then I realized, "No... he has to be somewhere else right now." After all, the Big Man is more important that the big man.

And so here I write a prayer...

    Lord... help this man to know how richly blessed my life is for knowing Jesus Christ. It's because of his faithfulness to a vision you planted in him years ago that I am not only walking with you personally, living in a rich marriage, and guiding two young boys into Your abundant life... I am also following a vision of my own that You have planted in my heart - for the Church to have a healthy future. Please let this man sleep well tonight, knowing that I am but one of the many who have been touched by his courage to say "Yes" to You. For every drop of sweat he and others have poured into seeing that vision out, may there be that many more crowns in heaven that they may cast at Your feet. People criticize such men all the time... may he feel your pleasure instead so that the flames get stoked even hotter and Your Church becomes who it was intended to be.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

As is my prayer for the big man...

Todd Porter said...

so what is the news on the job front?

tonymyles said...

Had a GREAT weekend! Just praying through to see if this is God's will or not. Prayers for insights along these lines would be awesome.

Todd Porter said...

you got it, tony!