Feb 8, 2011

this one is a keeper

I wasn't sure which of my blogs to write this on, but I chose this one since it's more personal than it is professional. I wanted to pour out how much I really enjoyed a great meeting last night with our church leadership team. One of the things that came up were the different strengths and weaknesses we all have that somehow come together to do something great for God.

It got me thinking about this song by Rich Mullins:


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZQJL7AKV2k


The lyrics are as follows:

Now the plummer's got a drip in his spigot
The mechanic's got a clank in his car
And the preacher's thinking thoughts that are wicked
And the lover's got a lonely heart
My friends ain't the way I wish they were
They are just the way they are

And I will be my brother's keeper
Not the one who judges him
I won't despise him for his weakness
I won't regard him for his strength
I won't take away his freedom
I will help him learn to stand
And I will ~ I will be my brother's keeper

Now this roof has got a few missing shingles
But at least we got ourselves a roof
And they say that she's a fallen angel
I wonder if she recalls when she last flew
There's no point in pointing fingers
Unless you're pointing to the truth

And I will be my brother's keeper
Not the one who judges him
I won't despise him for his weakness
I won't regard him for his strength
I won't take away his freedom
I will help him learn to stand
And I will ~ I will be my brother's keeper

I will be my brother's keeper
Not the one who judges him
I won't despise him for his weakness
I won't regard him for his strength
I won't take away his freedom
I will help him learn to stand
And I will ~ I will be my brother's keeper

I've been in way too many circles, both inside and outside of churches, where things can become reactionary and petty. Someone gets on someone else's nerves, or everyone tries to avoid tension. Several times last night we wrestled over some great stuff that was full of passion.

I was reminded again, though, through these amazing people how special it is to come back to Jesus. Instead of us drawing lines in the sand, we drew arrows to Him. There's something redeeming about deciding to not give up on one another because we're a part of something way more important than the moment. That's something I hope Connection Church never loses.

I will be my brother's (and sister's) keeper, and hope they'll continue to be mine.
"Finally, all of you, live in harmony with one another; be sympathetic, love as brothers, be compassionate and humble." (1 Peter 3:8)

No comments: