Aug 29, 2010

first week of public school - retrospective

I'm not going to lie... I've been a bit of a mess this week.

Nothing that I can't bounce back from, but for the first time in my family's life we've sent our boys off to school instead of investing into them at home.

Of course, this has garnered three reactions:
  • From some friends who home school: "Why in the world would you do that?"
  • From some friends who use public school: "Why in the world did it take you so long?"
  • From some friends who know us well: "Wow... I get it, and I get how different that will be for you... and I'm praying for you."
That's about all I'm going to say about that.

After all, we may end up using home schooling again down the road... or we may not. Our journey is a very interactive one, which involves leaning into our kids and trying to figure out what will bless them best. Keep in mind, our goal isn't that they would just graduate high school but that they would graduate college as well. In order for that to happen best, Katie and I recognized the need for them to be under different authority that is independent of us.

So for at least this year - maybe more - this is our plan.  We'll keep praying for wisdom.

In the meantime, I apologize for being a bit out of sorts this week.  Since I work out of the home, it's been odd to have several hours in my day where I don't hear my boys playing, wrestling, singing, or asking me to play a game with them.  It's one reason we're driving them to and from school, trying to squeeze every minute of the day with them that we can.


If you happen to be one of the people praying for us in this journey, thank you.

2 comments:

David Moss said...

Hey Tony - praying you through.

I have four children - two oldest are girls (24,21) and two youngest are boys (18 and 11). Just dropped off my 18 y.o. son at college this weekend. Yup, tears of joy, sadness, change. I miss my boys playful brotherly bickering already - and the quiet in the house is deafening. I'm trying to find a new routine for my days that is life giving....but I'm also thankful that the loneliness i feel is because of the crazy God-blessed relationship I have with all of my kids. So - all that to say.....I'm glad I can along side - and be praying you through these days.

tonymyles said...

David - thanks so much... seriously. It helps to have friends who are parenting at all life stages breathe some prayers out this way. I'm spending some time doing the same for you today.