Dec 26, 2009

Christmas Adam

Twas the day after Christmas, and all through the house, leftover cookies and egg nog, and... OUCH! I just stepped on a Lego.

Don't worry... "Christmas Adam" isn't something historical or biblical or spiritual that you're missing out on. It's what one of my boys decided to call today since the day before Christmas is "Christmas Eve."

He didn't think it was fair for only Eve to get a holiday. :)

I have to say this year's Christmas was really quite something. We made some practical impact through our church, from the almost $1000 we raised for a church in Africa we support, to the nearly dozen families who were fed through the food pantry our church supplies (and the donations of local people who believe in what we're doing). Then there was the $10 we handed out 70 times at our Christmas Eve services all to inspire people to "pay it forward" - meaning, to enjoy the gift of Christmas and send it on forward to others in their lives where there is some disconnect.

The local newspaper even put it on the front page
.


The great highlight, of course, was another year of remembering what/who matters most. Namely, the "Christ" in "Christmas." There is something powerful about giving Jesus a gift on the day we recognize His birth (even though history is unclear on the exact day that is), which is why several of us at our Christmas Eve service took "gifts" written down on ornaments and placed them in a manger. Something about that feels right... kind of like we didn't skip over remembering whose birthday it was.


Although I have to say I did appreciate the gifts I received as well as gave. Watching my boys open their toys and seeing my wife's expression as she unwrapped her presents... not to mention letting my own jaw drop when I saw the lasagna my wife made us all for dinner. Drool, drool!


Then there was this morning... seeing my kids play with their Star Wars toys. It brought me back to my own childhood... and my own Star Wars toys. :)


So I hope that your Christmas Eve, Christmas day, and "Christmas Adam" have been filled with all the pleasures of heaven. Because that's what happens when you open the gift of Jesus... and keep on opening it all year long.
"There were shepherds living out in the fields nearby, keeping watch over their flocks at night. An angel of the Lord appeared to them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were terrified. But the angel said to them, 'Do not be afraid. I bring you good news of great joy that will be for all the people. Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is Christ the Lord.'" (Luke 2)


1 comment:

ceebee said...

wouldn't mind having some of that lasagna.