Aug 26, 2009

it would seem i'm being recruited


It would seem as though there are at least three cable stations that operate with the understanding that by running the same Pauly Shore movie every night I will eventually watch it.

So far I'm good...

but I find myself pondering the potential merits of "In The Army Now" more now than I did seven days ago.

It goes without saying that many things in my life (and perhaps yours) are like this. Perhaps for you it's not Pauly Shore (and I hope it isn't), but it's probably something else.

Something that is absolutely "out of the question."

And the next time, it's still absolutely "out of the question."

And maybe even the next several times.

But you keep seeing pop up as an option.

And...

and...

and...
There's nothing else to do...
and...
It's not like it's a "big deal."
and...

I mean, it's Pauly Shore. He's had a few good moments, right?

I think I laughed at Son-In-Law, and I may have even seen Encino Man.

So why not?

I mean, I hear it's "genuinely funny."

The Houston Post said so.

So why not?


First off, if you are Pauly Shore or have a family/friendship connection with Mr Shore, I mean no disrespect at using his name for the metaphor of this post.

However, Mr Shore has admitted to his "D List" celebrity status on more than one occasion, and I wonder how many things in our life are also "D List" options.

  • The dream you're considering abandoning because it takes too many drops of sweat.
  • A relationship that seems uphill... and you're tired of climbing.
  • The standards you've been maintaining and yet are thinking they're keeping your from any real fun.
  • That guy or gal you're thinking about cozying up to more than you know is healthy.
  • Whatever you feel you "owe yourself" and have been putting off... but now don't feel like putting off anymore.
It's odd how one little toe entering a pool can send ripples all throughout the rest of the water.

New research from the Kellogg School of Management finds individuals believe they have more restraint than they actually possess; this ultimately leading to poor decision-making.
The study, led by Loran Nordgren of the Kellogg School, found the sample on average displayed a “restraint bias,” causing individuals to miscalculate the amount of temptation they could truly handle, leading to a greater likelihood of indulging impulsive or addictive behavior. People are not good at anticipating the power of their urges, and those who are the most confident about their self-control are the most likely to give into temptation.

“The key is simply to avoid any situations where vices and other weaknesses thrive and, most importantly, for individuals to keep a humble view of their willpower,” said Nordgren. Furthermore, Nordgren concluded, this research suggests observers should think twice before judging those who fall prey to temptation, because most of us overestimate our capacity to control our own impulses. LifeSite News 8/5/09
Mr Pauly Shore used to call himself "the Weasel." Interesting, considering me using him as a metaphor for the junk temptations in my life.

"The Weasel" and I currently remain separated from one another.

I wonder what I need to do to keep it that way.
"and do not give the devil a foothold." (Ephesians 4:27)

No comments: