Oct 31, 2008

nywc: inspirations from general session 1

Generally speaking...

A great opening session, although it felt a bit awkward to not have the room darkened. I'm used to that from past conferences - funny how lighting can mess with you.

That aside, I found my new favorite band - Newworldson. They have a sound somewhere in between the Blues Brothers, Gavin Degraw, and a church on a hill somewhere down south (where they really know how to scat dance and sing). It's been a while since I've said, "Now there is a CD I need to buy." A long while, actually.

----------

Inspirations from the opening poet, Amena Brown...
  • We signed up to be Jesus' reflections, but didn't know it was part of the job description.
  • He's the One who put the G in OMG, the biggest G in all of history.We want to see a glimpse of what He sees.
Inspirations from Tic Long...
  • God offers us a grace so amazing that is forgives all - all as in every single thing.A calling to change the eternal destiny of a generation.

Inspirations from Newworldson...

  • As I said above, great stuff. Although their last song had more fake-out endings to it than the last Lord of the Rings movie did.

Inspirations from Marko...

  • "Chillax" - thanks for this word, Marko. I'd like to say this word, but I can't... I just can't. Just like I couldn't say "G.R" for Grand Rapids when I lived in Michigan. I'm not that cool, but I'll work on it.

Inspirations from Joe Castillo...

  • This guy is a true artist, using everything from sketches and painting to sand to tell God's Story. It took me a moment to realize what part he was telling (the Prodigal Son), but it was a powerful ending!
  • I told Joe that we have one of his pieces hanging up in the men's room in our church building. Keep in mind, I let him know it was a compliment... because he paints manly Jesus pics and we wanted a manly bathroom. I think he believed me. Otherwise he's a good liar.

Inspirations from Jeanne Stevens...

  • Jeanne does a great job every year of finding a tactile way to engage God. This year she used cell phones as an interesting way to say "Amen. Pray for me."

Inspirations from Starfield...

  • Nice set, and even though I know their stuff many people didn't. They helped folks jump in quite well.
  • I was getting TXT messages all throughout the worship set because I'm trying to keep an eye on someone in our church who had surgery today. sometimes praising God is difficult because of the details... makes me have greater compassion for parents on a Sunday morning who are unplugging from managing their kids.

Inspirations from Mike Pilavachi...

  • I want Marko to introduce me someday. Not because I'm anyone special, but because he's quite complimentary and it would be nice to hear that. Heck, everyone should have Marko introduce them.
  • This message for me is a very simple one... Jesus did miracles, but He did it through the hands of His disciples. It's absurd to think so, but He did. And so we shouldn't be surprised when He asks us to do the same - to make space for others to fail, so that something miraculous can happen anyway.
  • Listening to Mike is like listening to a Monty Python chaplain who loves Jesus. And not the Monty Python version of Jesus... the Jesus version of Jesus.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing these inspirations! I'm sure you'll inspire many people yourself in your seminar. I know you do every time we talk, anyway!