Today, though, I realized I'm one step closer to becoming "that guy."
"That guy" is many things, and for many reasons I don't want to become him.
- That guy uses people and loves things... instead of loving people and using things.
- That guy doesn't want to fail because it will make him look bad... which ironically makes him fail because of that.
- That guy works hard because no one else will... and that only makes the cycle grow worse.
- That guy counts people because he believes numbers matter... not realizing that in doing so you communicate that attendance is the greatest value.
- That guy teaches the Bible... instead of living the Bible.
And so on.
Obviously, I don't want to be that guy. And yet I am one step closer today to becoming him.
To be clear, I mean to say that I am one step closer to becoming a guy who will become all the more tempted to be "that guy."
You see today I realized that I have to make some big decisions regarding how far I will go down the rabbit hole God has dug for me. This will require me to learn things that are outside my sphere of knowledge, not to mention becoming someone who thinks more responsibly about lots of other things.
In short, it requires a fresh streak of maturation...
which some might call increased professionalism...
and increased profesionalism could be called a "CEO" mentality...
and a CEO "mentality" could lead me to become "that guy."
Are you tracking?
Because while I want to dive down the rabbit hole, I don't want to become "that guy."