Dec 20, 2007

you asked for it: lost language

Lisa "The Momma" wondered two things:

1. What do you think of the statment, "Don't say that out loud, the devil may hear?"
2. What did you think of the season finale of LOST (season 3) and are you still loving the show? (PS -- I continue to think it is that BEST-SHOW-ON-TV-EVER. :)

Wow... quite the spectrum of Q&A there, Lisa. :)

1) First off, I've found that a measure of respect of anything supernatural is healthy. It's odd that Americans (compared to other countries) are so sarcastic in our comedy when it comes to poking fun of God or the devil. While scenes like the dinner table prayer in Talladega Nights make me laugh, I wonder if somewhere in our attempt to muse about our own hypocrisy we lose a little bit of respect for God in the process.

Somewhere along the way we forget how powerful God is and whatever He has allowed satan to maintain as well... often we reduce satan to a red horned halloween costume or pay money to see the latest horror flick and assume its evil has no effect on us.

On the other side of this, sometimes we give way too much worry to the power satan has. Make no mistake, he is capable of things that we should take note of, but compared to God he is a wimp. To hear some Christians talk, you would think the devil is bigger than the Creator and we should constantly be looking for the evil one behind every bush. Some speak of him with a whisper because they're afraid he might hear them, get angry, and mess with their world.

Why? If we are in Christ, Christ is in us... we don't do the fighting, but join the already-established-ultimate-winner in defeating the enemy. It's like if the Chicago Bulls (during the Jordan years) asked me to join them in playing a game of basketball against a team of junior-highers. Why shouldn't the devil hear that God's "got game" in my life? The devil doesn't have authority over me any more than I let him... and I don't think I'll let him, thank you.

2) I really enjoyed the finale last season and look forward to the 8 shows they've finished before the writer's strike. Hopefully they'll finish the rest, too... we'll see. It's always been nice that you could pick up the new season where the last one left off... season 1: looking down a hatch; season 2: heroes get taken away; but now we don't know what time era the next season will begin in... crazy.

1 comment:

Bar L. said...

i liked your answer - I often debate this with a friend who thinks I am giving Satan a foothold to attack me by verbalizing my issues....I think I'll just print this out and give it to her :)