May 7, 2007

a day in the life of me: it's just like...

Saturday was a SWEET day... full of some unexpected twists and enlightenment.

A bit of context...

So you probably know this FLEA MARKET MONTGOMERY video is obviously quite ridiculous... and yet I was watching it several times last week during my sermon prep (it helps balance out my brain).

Anyway, on Saturday two of my buddies from Michigan came for a visit and I was rapping the song througout lunch. One of them hadn't seen the video, so I showed it to him along with several other variations (and by the way... I think this is my new favorite variation). By the time he was done, he was hooked.

Muh-ha-ha-ha-ha!

Meanwhile, I'd gone upstairs to talk to my other buddy, then the first one came up and said, "I got on the computer and found a web site with the phone number... but I hung up because I didn't know what to say."

"Let's call it back," I said. So I dialed and put it on speaker phone.

My buddy asked, "What are you going to say?"

"I'm not sure," I replied.

---

Lady: "Flea Market Montgomery, how may I help you?"

Me: "Um, yeah... hi. I was wondering if I could speak with the rapping furniture guy?"

Lady: One moment please.

(short pause)



Sammy: Sammy Stephens, how can I help you?

Me: (To self: "No way.") Mr Stephens! Hi, my name is Tony Myles, how are you today?

Sammy: Doing well!!! How about you?

Me: Doing great! Hey, I just wanted you to know that I've watched your stuff online and love your rap.

Sammy: Why thank you! Later in May I'm going to be on TV again with Mr Dick Clark like I was on the Ellen show... sharing my new stuff so you tell everyone you know to be watching me, okay?

Me: That sounds like fun!

Sammy: Can you hold on for a minute?

Me: Sure.

(short pause... "Am I actually having this conversation?" I wonder.)

Sammy: (sounds like he's switched phones and is on a speakerphone now) Okay, I'm back!

Me: Well, Mr Stephens I wanted you to know that I watched your video with the Christian band Family Force Five, too. That was some great stuff!

Sammy: Family Force Five! Yes, sir... very nice group of gentlemen.

Me: Also you should know that I'm a pastor here in Ohio and this week when I was working on my message I watched your video four times to help me think more clearly. I'll be preaching tomorrow and so you should know that it'll probably be going through my head.

Sammy: Well then you be sure to tell all your people...


(then, yes... he starts his shtick in full volume)



"LIVING ROOMS! BEDROOMS! DINETTES!



OH, YEAH! YOU'LL FIND IT... WE GOT IT...



AT THE MARKET... MONTGOMERY...



I'M TALKING 'BOUT FLEA MARKET..."


(we all join in clapping/singing as Sammy keeps rapping along via speakerphone)

"MONTGOMERY! IT'S JUST LIKE... IT'S JUST LIKE... A MINI-MALL! SAY WHAT? FLEA MARKET! MONTGOMERY! IT'S JUST LIKE, IT'S JUST LIKE, A MINI... MALL."


Me: Thank you, Mr Stephens! Have a blessed day!

Sammy: You too, Tony!

---

So I hang up the phone and we all look at each other in dead silence.



Then...



uncontrollable laughter.

From the stairs I hear my wife say, "Oh, no you didn't."


Yes I did.

So my two buddies - Scott and Brandon, by the way - and I headed out to snag some tix for Spiderman 3 (yes, I saw it again), no to mention a stop by the local Smoothie King. There I introduced them to wonderful world of frozen ice and fruit blended up together with powdery proteins. While I am a regular, this was my first time seeing the Smoothie King mascot. Of course I had to take a picture.

We boogied back over the theater, watched the movie (which, by the way, was a different experience than on opening night... much more low-key), and then headed out to the local town of Fairlawn to try a new Chinese buffet.

Brandon likes noodles...

he used to like rice.

(another inside joke, by the way)

By the end of the night, I had the chance to get some work down, introduce Brandon to the animated series Justice League Unlimited, and share in a great heart-to-heart with Scott about life, the universe, and everything.

Good friends... it's hard to describe the value of community... until you aren't in it, or suddenly you are. One of the things Scott and I talked about was the difference someone in your life can make to just remind you that you're not crazy.


When people come against you (because they will)...

critique you (because they will)...

or tell you that you're wrong (because they will)...

there is something about having another person in your life who knows you say, "You're not a bad guy, and that dream in your heart is more sane than anything they could understand which is why it appears crazy to them."


It helps you feel connected.

It helps you feel a part of "inside jokes."

It helps you feel attached to something beyond yourself.


Hmm... you could say...

it's just like...


it's just like...


a mini-mall.

Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken. (Ecclesiastes 4:12)

7 comments:

Royal said...

Hey Tony....I needed this today....Thanks...

Thurman8er said...

42

Anonymous said...

You guys.....

Jessica said...

definitely miss that feeling of "you're not crazy" that friends and a significant someone can bring. as always a nice post that sneaks in some deep thought masquearding as shallow whimisings.

while that last part may not sound like it that is actually meant as a compliment.

tonymyles said...

Most of life seems to masquerade as something else... than what it really is.

Katie said...

my favorite part of the post?
the label: "because i'm a dork"

this could be the label of my entire life

Anonymous said...

so it turns out that i was not even supposed to work on saturday, they thought i was my cousin phil... sorry i couldn't make it... probably one of those "God thangs" and what happened was better w/o me :)

lol but your post was pretty much exactly what i hoped your weekend would be like. miss you and appreciate your insight in this post.

if you mix the musical eleoquence of montgomery furniture and the witty insight of Tony Myles...

i don't know... it just reminds me of Jesus.