Apr 18, 2006

purpose driven java

I mentioned this before, but given some of the extra details I think it bears repeating. The overlooked addiction of caffeine is gaining some purpose to it in the next month as noted author Rick Warren becomes a part of Starbucks' campain "The Way I See It." Warren joins over 60 others — musicians, athletes, scientists, and cultural critics — who feature thoughts on life on Starbucks cups in order to spur some coffee house debate.

Rick's quote is as follows:
"Focusing on yourself will never reveal your real purpose," the Purpose Driven author and pastor wrote. "Only in God do we discover our origin, our identity, our meaning, our purpose, and our destiny."
None of the previous quotes have been blatantly religious; some have mentioned faith in humanity. The cups also say that opinions "do not necessarily reflect the views of Starbucks."

7 comments:

Tanner Ridge said...

How can we get this put on "Diet Mountain Dew" bottles and cans?

This would give my Mountain Dew caffeine addiction greater purpose :)

tonymyles said...

Sounds like a good write in campaign.

Len said...

Personal printer and duct tape. Problem solved. :-)

Katie said...

so you're saying that my starbucks addiction now has purpose? YES. Finally an excuse to spend 3.50 a pop on a cup of java, or in my case a shot of java, skim milk, and chocolate syrup. Really there is no purpose in this. But at least I will have a good quote to read as I continue my addiction.

thatcoffeeguy said...

I work at Starbucks. My two cents? Warren's quote is lukewarm. Neither hot nor cold. After all, most people agree with the quote because most people believe in a God. My muslim friend Rubba agrees with the quote. My hindu friend Asha agrees. Her god is Krishna. My Jordanian friend Suhair agrees with Warren's statement. He might as well have written "The sky is blue, the oceans are deep, and the moon is far away." At least the other authors quoted say something stimulating and thought-provoking. I'm not impressed in the slightest.

Did you happen to see Mr. Warren's article series in the Lady's Home Journal last year? Pathetic and un-scriptural.

I hate to be so negative. I'm really in a good mood and all...

:-)

Angele Myska said...

You know, I kind of liked the quote myself until I read what the Starbucks dude had to say...I guess the quote might not have much of a punch if the 'God' Warren speaks of can be so generically viewed by so many other faiths...our God is THE only way yet it's not coming across that way. Hmm. Got me thinkin' that's for sure.

tonymyles said...

It's because it's a coffee thing... if Rick had slapped something on to a tea cup then we'd have a nice Eastern slant to it. :)