Dec 10, 2005

it's a wonderful spontaneous stranger

Have you ever notice how some older movies were edited and directed rather interestingly?

One of my all-time favorite movies is "It's A Wonderful Life" and I'm watching it right now. I have to admit, though, that it's odd how there is this spontaneous crowd that shows up out of nowhere in a couple of scenes.

For instance, when George is trying to figure out life he goes walking one night and runs into Violet Bick. It's just the two of them in the middle of town as he starts to tell her about an idea to go walk in the grass and hang out in nature all night. When she tells him what she thinks about that, there are like two dozen people around them laughing.

Then Uncle Billy is at the bank and has a little discussion with Mr. Potter. He goes up to the bank counter quite quickly because there isn't any line. Yet in a matter of 15 seconds as he realizes he doesn't have the money, there are 5 or 6 people behind him giving him odd looks.

Who is this crowd?

I have a feeling like I've seen them before... like when I go to an empty parking lot and start my car, then I forgot I already started it and turn the key again and it makes that screeching noise. Out of nowhere, there are 702 people in the parking lot laughing at me.

Or when I go to throw a football and it's a perfect spiral... and no one sees it. But when I go to throw it in a game and it lobs like a 4 year old girl threw it (and is intercepted), there's a small marching band that teleported in and are getting ready to practice... and they start booing me.

Sorry... maybe it's just me. Unless you've seen them, too... that would make me feel a lot better.

By the way,
if you've never
seen the movie
here's a 30 second reenactment...

by bunnies.

3 comments:

rawbbie said...

Wow what a beautiful movie (I'd never seen it before, till now).

. said...

My favorite! It's so true!

For me, it isn't Christmas unless I've seen IAWL at least once. (And I always cry....)

tonymyles said...

I think one of my favorite-yet-under-rated moments is when George is at the train station picking up his brother and realizes the train is pulling away from his dream of leaving.

I've been there...