Sep 25, 2005

why my feet hurt...

Today I got to serve the Church...

I was invited to share the weekend message at a church I used to be on staff at. The senior pastor has taken a leave of absence with an unspecified time frame. The fact that the church thought of me to fill in the gap for an interim season is such an indescribable and humble blessing. And so I went back and connected with people whom I haven't seen in a few years... and I think God used me.

I had some people ask me if I'd ever consider candidating there if the senior pastor doesn't come back. I don't want to think about that... all I want to do is share from God's Word without any agenda.

A 6:30am alarm this morning... a 75 minute drive in one direction... and then back... three services in a row... and my feet hurt from wearing shoes I bought at Salvation Army (because my other ones have holes in them).

But today I got to serve the Church.

I was also invited to speak locally tonight at a worship night called "ONE." It was at my in-law's church (who is also without a senior pastor right now). The theme was from Ephesians 4:1-6 and I had the chance to lead people around the idea of unity in Christ. Since my passion is the health and future of the Church, this was another unbelievable opportunity to minister.

Everytime I speak there I hear murmurings of how some people want me to candidate for the senior pastor position. I don't want to think about that... all I want to do is share from God's Word without any agenda.

A short window of time to see my kids before the service... a 3 minute drive around the block... and then back... one service with an entirely different message than I shared this morning... and my feet hurt from standing around some more (even though I switched shoes because I switched outfits because someone smudged makeup on my shoulder when they hugged me this morning).

But today I got to serve the Church.

(even though my feet hurt)

    How beautiful
    on the mountains
    are the feet of those
    who bring good news,

    who proclaim peace,
    who bring good tidings,
    who proclaim salvation,
    who say to Zion,
    "Your God reigns!"
    (Isaiah 52:7)

5 comments:

Donna G said...

It is a sweet hurt when your feet hurt from serving....isn't it?

tonymyles said...

Yup.

Bar L. said...

That's one of my favorite verses! I hardly ever hear it but I say it to my freind every time she sets off on another journey to share the gospel.

Glad to hear your feet hurt for good reasons (and be thankful you never have to wear heels).

Jamie said...

how awesome to be able to serve in those capacities! Continue to serve humble and walk with our God. He will lead your hurting feet to many exciting places. And just think...much more than His feet hurt for you.

tonymyles said...

Good call...

and yes - I'm quite thankful guys don't wear heels.

At least, most guys don't.